• 🇬🇭 Ghana
  • 🇬🇲 Gambia
  • 🇰🇪 Kenya
  • 🇳🇬 Nigeria
  • 🇹🇿 Tanzania
  • 🇺🇬 Uganda
  • 🇿🇦 South Africa
  • 🇿🇲 Zambia
  • 🌎 Others
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
footy-africa.com
  • Home
  • Exclusive
  • News
  • Official
  • Predictions
  • Bookmakers
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Exclusive
  • News
  • Official
  • Predictions
  • Bookmakers
No Result
View All Result
footy-africa.com
No Result
View All Result
  • 🇬🇭 Ghana
  • 🇬🇲 Gambia
  • 🇰🇪 Kenya
  • 🇳🇬 Nigeria
  • 🇹🇿 Tanzania
  • 🇺🇬 Uganda
  • 🇿🇦 South Africa
  • 🇿🇲 Zambia
  • 🌎 Others

Home » Spence-handshaking incident involving Partey draws attention during World Cup

Spence-handshaking incident involving Partey draws attention during World Cup

by Allan Damba
June 24, 2026
in News, World Cup
0
Thomas Partey

Thomas Partey. Source: kwekuedilson X account.

An apparent pre-match moment involving England defender Djed Spence and Ghana midfielder Thomas Partey became a talking point on social media during Tuesday’s FIFA World Cup Group L encounter in Boston.

Video footage shared online appeared to show Spence bypassing Partey during the traditional pre-match handshake ceremony before kick-off. The incident quickly generated discussion among supporters and observers, although neither player has publicly commented on the matter.

The spotlight on Partey extended beyond the handshake sequence. The Ghana midfielder was met with audible boos from sections of the crowd inside Boston Stadium before and during the match.

🚨 BREAKING! 🤯

Djed Spence REFUSED to shake Thomas Partey’s hand in the game between Ghana and England. 🤝❌

pic.twitter.com/9ZGeBvSVG1

— Polymarket FC (@PolymarketFC) June 23, 2026

Jeers could be heard when his name was announced over the public address system ahead of kick-off, while many of his touches throughout the contest were greeted with a hostile reaction from England supporters.

The 33-year-old was making his first appearance of the tournament after sitting out Ghana’s opening 1-0 victory over Panama in Toronto.

Partey missed that fixture after being denied entry into Canada. Authorities reportedly refused him admission after he informed immigration officials that he had never been arrested or charged with a criminal offence.

The former Arsenal and current Villarreal midfielder has pleaded not guilty to seven charges of rape and one count of sexual assault relating to allegations made by four women between 2020 and 2022. He is due to stand trial next year.

Djed Spence was the only England player who refused to shake Thomas Partey’s hand before kick-off. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🤝 pic.twitter.com/CmnFLSxuxQ

— Football Tweet ⚽ (@Footballtweet) June 23, 2026

Despite growing attention around his participation at the tournament, BBC Sport understands the Football Association did not hold any discussions with England players regarding the customary pre-match handshake before facing Ghana.

Partey had struck a confident tone ahead of the fixture, insisting he was prepared for the occasion:  “I feel ready to play.”

Partey’s Canada appeal was ‘an uphill battle from the start’, says immigration lawyer

His eligibility to feature in the United States was clarified last week by American authorities.

In a statement, US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) said: “The US is aware of the pending court case for Mr Partey. However, at this time, he has not been convicted of a crime and was admitted to the United States after being issued a visa.”

Ghana’s next World Cup game will be against Croatia on June 28 in Philadelphia.

Tags: Thomas Partey
ShareTweetSend

Allan Damba

Related Posts

Nicholas Opoku
News

Nicholas Opoku officially unveiled by UD Las Palmas

August 19, 2026
Favour Itode
Exclusive

FK Liepaja wins race for highly rated teenage Nigerian centre-back Favour Itode

August 18, 2026
Edmond Asante
Exclusive

Edmond Asante’s camp explains Israel move after Sturm Graz interest

August 18, 2026
Alex Opoku Sarfo
Exclusive

Alex Opoku Sarfo “disappointed” as Aris Limassol block his Kortrijk move

August 18, 2026

Popular

  • Nathaniel Adjei

    Strasbourg, Sunderland, Hull City and FC Copenhagen target Nathaniel Adjei

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Eintracht Frankfurt set to sign young Ghanaian midfielder Lawrence Setordjie

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Abubakali Walusimbi set for Slavia Prague move

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Nigerian midfielder Christopher Boniface joins Hapoel Ramat Gan on three-year deal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • AIK agree deal for Inspire FA star Shedrack Egboh as transfer fee talks continue

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
footy-africa.com

© 2026

Navigate Site

  • News
  • Exclusive
  • Predictions
  • Official
  • AFCON

Follow Us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Exclusive
  • News
  • Official
  • Predictions
  • Bookmakers

© 2026